Unforgettable Video Technique workshop

Story and photos: Erika Kim
We had a Video Technique and Expression workshop from Jan 9 – 15, 2012. It was an intensive course between Christmas break and spring semester. So we all met at Finlayson Campus (TTVO) café 10:30am on Monday. The lecturer was Ville Salminen from Obscure Entertainment.


I was waiting for this workshop for few months because I already heard from other students about this workshop and heard that this course is really cool and useful. And the main part that made me excited was that the lecturer was Ville Salminen. I was so excited more than ever since he was the director of this experimental short film 'Kun Liikun (When I Move)' which is my favorite Finnish short film ever. (Read about the film...)

Even though it was one week intensive course, I can say that I learned really a lot from this workshop. I've been having interests in photography and videography, but just didn't know where and how to start. So this workshop was really a great opportunity for me in so many ways.

The very first and most useful we learned was film grammar. They were the basic stuff we need to know before we actually start filming or directing. It was really easy to understand. He explained about every shots we should know showing the camera angles. Then he let us try to set the camera angles by ourselves. Not only this basic theory about filming, but we also learned about setting the lights.

I got to say that I learned a lot from this workshop. The lecturer Ville Salminen had a really good teaching skill. Everything he said and showed were very clear and easy to understand as a beginner. I want to thank the lecturer Ville Salminen for giving us a lot of inspiration and thank to Cai for giving us an opportunity to have this awesome lecturer and to have this helpful workshop.

Now we have a photography task and group task that we should make 3 minutes short film and return it in 2 weeks. I'm so excited about this tasks as well.

Thank you all again!

Erika is student of our international Degree Programme in Media
Read more stories from/about IMPs, the Media students
|||